International Day of People with Disability is a United Nations recognised day held on 3 December each year to celebrate the contributions and achievements of people with disability. The UN theme for IDPwD this year is ‘leadership and participation of persons with disabilities toward an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 world.’
Currently 1 in 5 people in Australia have a disability – close to 4.4 million people. Around half of people with disability use aids and equipment for everyday life, while roughly 60 percent need assistance with at least one activity in daily life.
By acknowledging this important day, we can take action to remove barriers for people with disability and contribute to positive change in our community. Together, we can do our part to challenge stereotypes, remove barriers and promote inclusive and respectful attitudes and behaviours in our community.
Here are just some of the stories from our amazing clients who are living with disability:
- Advik, who lives with muscular dystrophy, has achieved his goal of starting a graphic design degree at a university in Sydney
- Geoffrey, a resident at Soteria Independent Living’s home in Edmonson Park, is finding his voice through creativity and drawing
- Patrick from the NSW north coast is achieving independence in his own home and taking steps towards his personal goals
- Kathryn, who is living with Parkinson’s disease, has a passion for art and paints amazing artworks of animals
- Marcus is using his time to volunteer and cook breakfasts for a charity that supports homelessness and people in need
Living with a disability shouldn’t stop you from living a life that brings you joy and meaning – or from achieving your dreams. Rather than limiting people with disability and stopping them from participating in community life, we believe in working towards societal change, as we adapt to be more inclusive of others.
For more information about IDPwD, including resources, stories, videos and social tiles, visit www.idpwd.com.au or follow @idpwd on Facebook and Twitter.
Home Caring helps people living with disability enjoy quality of life, live independently and achieve their goals. We are an NDIS provider, and can help you make the most of your plan so you receive the support you need.
You can find out more about our services and how we can meet your needs with a FREE consultation by calling 1300 875 377.