The Home Care Packages program is a consumer directed care approach, which means recipients have choice and control over their services. Each person has unique needs, preferences, and goals, and this doesn’t change as we grow older. That’s why it’s important that you can choose which company or organisation provides you with your Home Care Package services, so you can be in control of your plan and partner with the provider who best meets your needs.
Choosing the right provider, though, can be difficult with so many options out there. As a starting point, here are 10 questions to ask when researching Home Care Package providers, to help you make a good decision.
1. What types of home care services does the provider offer? Make sure the provider offers the type of care that will help you with everyday life, whether that’s personal care, transport, social activities, exercise classes, allied health therapy, or household assistance.
2. How much experience does the provider have in offering home care services? While you don’t necessarily need years of experience to provide high quality care, you may want to find out whether the provider is capable of providing services to seniors.
3. What are the qualifications and experience of the provider's care staff? It’s a good idea to check that the team providing care are fully qualified, and capable of providing quality services according to high standards of care.
4. How does the provider match care staff to clients' needs? Receiving care from a consistent team who you can get to know and build a trusting relationship with is important. Chat to the provider about how they match their staff to clients.
5. What is the process for developing a care plan for clients? Ideally, you want a Home Care Package that works collaboratively with you to develop you care plan, so you can have real choice over your services.
6. How does the provider communicate with clients and their families? When you meet a provider, get a feel for how they communicate with you or your family. Do you feel safe and included? Do they make an effort to understand your needs? Do they listen to your point of view?
7. How does the provider ensure the safety of clients in their homes? Check they have the proper accreditations and are registered to deliver government-funded Home Care Packages, so you can ensure quality of care.
8. What is the provider's approach to handling complaints or issues that may arise? Ask the provider if they have a channel for feedback, and how they implement or address the feedback they receive. Also find out their process for managing conflict or disagreements.
9. What is the cost structure for the provider's home care services? Find out about any fees the provider might charge, so you get an accurate picture of how much their services will cost.
10. Does the provider offer flexible services? The Home Care Package program takes a person-centred approach to care, which means you can receive services at a time that suits you. Check that your provider is able to provide flexible care services that suits your lifestyle.
Looking for in home care packages on the Gold Coast? Home Caring provides personalised Home Care Packages to help you live independently in your own home. For more information, please get in touch to chat to our support team.