You’ll always have a safe place to stay
Home Caring > Blog > You’ll always have a safe place to stay

You’ll always have a safe place to stay

We all know life doesn’t always go according to plan. There can be unexpected bumps in the road: you need to move out of home for a little while; your carer suddenly falls ill; you have a medical procedure with a long recovery time, or you just need a quick break.

Whatever happens, you should always somewhere safe to live where you can continue to thrive. Experiencing a different environment away from home is also important, as you can try new things while your carer gets a chance to take a break.

This is where Short Term Accommodation (STA) and Medium Term Accommodation (MTA) can help. Both of them are a disability accommodation service offered by the NDIS Here’s a run-down on what these types of accommodation are, and how they might meet your support needs.

What is STA and MTA?

NDIS short term accommodation is a temporary place for people with disability to live for up to 14 days at a time. If you are an NDIS participant, you may be able to access STA through the Core Supports of your plan (‘Short Term Accommodation and Assistance’ now replaces what used to be called ‘respite’).

Some of the ways you can use STA are:

  • for respite, so your loved one can take a break from their caring role and you can spend some time in a new environment
  • to try new things, receive capacity building support and gain independent living skills
  • to stay with a group of people and make new friends
  • staying somewhere different for the weekend while your carer is away
  • overnight accommodation so you can spend some time away from home, having new experiences

NDIS medium term accommodation provides NDIS participants with a place to stay for a period of time, while they are preparing to move into their permanent home. It is funded by the NDIS for up to 90 days, and can be used in the following situations:

  • as bridging accommodation for younger people who are at risk of being prematurely admitted into an aged care home
  • if you are ready to leave hospital, but waiting for modifications or assisted technology to be finished in your long term housing solution
  • if you are eligible for Specialist Disability Accommodation, but are waiting for a vacancy or for your place to be completed.

STA and MTA with Home Caring

Need somewhere to stay? Looking for a break and want to stay somewhere where you’ll be well supported? We’ve got you covered!

Home Caring’s modern STA and MTA apartments offer support and comfort, plus an opportunity to participate in capacity building programs, learn life skills, make new friends and take part in social activities.

Our self-contained units are:

  • NDIS registered Specialty Disability Accommodation apartments
  • fully furnished with high quality appliances and luxury touches
  • two to three bedrooms each, with a maximum of two people in each apartment
  • close to public transport, shops, parks, educational facilities and other amenities
  • fully accessible, with home modifications and assisted technology to suit individual need
  • in the community close to parks, public spaces and other leisure activities

We are staffed by a friendly team of passionate and experienced support workers who provide high levels of care.

Home Caring currently have modern and fully accessible SDA apartments available across the Sydney metro region, with units located in Parramatta, Merrylands, Blacktown, Quakers Hill, Carlingford, Pendle Hill, Mount Druitt and Peakhurst. For more information, you can download our brochures below.

Merrylands brochure

Schofields brochure

Want to find out more about how medium term accommodation and short term accommodation works? Here are some frequently asked questions we get about NDIS funding for MTA and STA.

Who is eligible for STA or MTA accommodation?

How do you apply for NDIS STA or MTA accommodation?

What support will I receive while staying in STA and MTA?

What can I do while staying in STA and MTA?

Is STA the same as respite?

How long is short term and medium term accommodation?

Can I stay in medium term accommodation for longer if I need to?

How do I find an STA or MTA provider in Australia?

Who is eligible for STA or MTA accommodation?

STA and MDA are both funded by the NDIS, making temporary accommodation and respite care affordable and accessible for people living with disability in Australia.

STA can be accessed as respite through your NDIS Core budget, so your usual carer is able to take a break from their responsibilities. To be eligible, you must be able to show that your need for short term accommodation is related to your disability, and will help you pursue your goals and participate in the community.

Medium term accommodation is funded by the NDIS under Home and Living supports. To be eligible for medium term accommodation, you must:

  • have a long-term home that you will move into after you have finished staying in your temporary accommodation;
  • be unable to move into your long-term home because your disability supports aren’t ready yet;
  • be unable to stay in your current accommodation while you wait for your home to be ready.

How do I apply for NDIS STA or MTA?

If you think you need short term accommodation or medium term accommodation, a good way to start is to talk to your NDIS support coordinator or planner. They will discuss what you need and the next steps forward.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed, we’re happy to chat to you and help you understand how NDIS funding works for respite and temporary accommodation. Give us a call on 1300 875 377.

What support will I receive while staying in STA and MTA?

STA and MTA is designed to cater to each person’s individual support needs, so they can continue living independently and enjoying life. Home Caring’s accommodation offer a range of services, including:

  • purpose built accommodation with modifications and aids;
  • fresh and nutritious meals provided throughout the day, including breakfast, lunch, dinner, morning and afternoon tea;
  • round the clock personal care and support;
  • medical and nursing support, including an Emergency Medicine Specialist, Pain Management Specialist, GPs, Psychiatrist, Geriatrician, Nephrologist and a Clinical Nurse;
  • allied health therapists, including Occupational Therapists, Speech Pathologists, Dietitians and Exercise Physiologists;
  • mental health services (e.g. counselling, psychology services);
  • specialist support coordination;
  • complex clinical care, including peg tube feeding assistance, tracheotomy, renal dialysis, indwelling catheter care and cardiac management;
  • behaviour intervention support;
  • assisted transport for those who require it;
  • disability employment support to help you find a job;
  • 24/7 care from support workers.

What can I do while staying in STA and MTA?

Staying in temporary accommodation can also be a great opportunity to continue working towards your goals and become more independent in daily life, with plenty of support behind you. You’ll also get to receive support in your local community rather than an aged care facility or hospital ward, so you can stay close to your usual support network.

At Home Caring, we offer a wide range of opportunities for capacity building, skills development and making new friends while staying with us. This could include:

  • capacity building programs for independent living
  • learning new skills and trying new recreational activities
  • disability employment support;
  • fitness activities and art therapy sessions in a friendly and warm environment;
  • leisure activities you can choose to take part in, including special lunches, day trips, concerts, cooking classes and movies;
  • cultural and religious activities for people of CALD backgrounds;
  • A safe and vibrant community where you can make new friends if you choose;
  • an opportunity to work towards your personal goals on your NDIS plan, with one-to-one support.

Is STA the same as respite?

Short Term Accommodation includes respite, which is the opportunity to spend some time away from your usually home so you and your carer can take a break. This might be by yourself with one-on-one care, or with other people. It’s often funded if your usual carer isn’t available, or to give you an opportunity to try new things.

How long is short term and medium term accommodation?

Short term accommodation NDIS funding is for up to 14 days at a time (usually 28 days in total across the year), while medium term accommodation is funded for up to 90 days.

Can I stay in medium term accommodation for longer if I need to?

In some cases, the NDIS may fund medium term accommodation for more than 90 days if it becomes clear that you need it longer because of certain circumstances (e.g. your builder says the modifications to your long-term accommodation will take 100 days, or you need to wait 120 days for your specialist disability accommodation, but there won’t be a vacancy for 120 days).

You will need to provide evidence that you need medium term accommodation for more than 90 days, for the NDIS to consider funding a longer stay.

How do I find an STA or MTA provider in Australia?

Finding the right provider for short term or medium term accommodation can be challenging, as there’s many options out there. It’s important to choose someone who you feel comfortable with, and who is able to meet your individual needs while helping you reach your goals. Your NDIS support coordinator can help you find an MTA or STA provider in your local area.

Home Caring provides high quality STA and MTA that supports each person’s individual needs. For more information about options in your local area, please get in touch.

Google Rating
Based on 183 reviews
Google Rating
Based on 183 reviews

Contact Our Friendly Home Care Team To Find Out More.