It can feel overwhelming at first to apply for the NDIS, especially if you are new to accessing disability support. Here are some steps to break the process down for you.
1. Check your eligibility – to access the NDIS, you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or hold a Protected Special Category Visa, be under 65 years of age, and have a permanent and significant disability that affects your ability to perform everyday activities. You can find more details about the criteria for eligibility on the NDIS website.
2. Gather information about your disability as evidence – this may include documents such as medical reports, assessments, and statements from healthcare providers, therapists, or educators about your disability and how it impacts your day-to-day functioning.
3. Contact the NDIS – you can do this by calling the NDIS hotline on 1800 800 110, or by visiting the NDIS website to fill out and submit an Access Request Form. This is a detailed questionnaire that will ask you about your disability, your support needs, and the impact of your disability on your life. You will need to provide supporting documentation to back up your answers. You can also have a support person apply for you, on your behalf.
4. Go through the assessment process – the National Disability Insurance Agency will assess your application and determine your eligibility for NDIS support. This may involve an interview, further assessments, or a review of your documentation. During your assessment, be truthful and report how much support you need, what assistance you require to perform tasks, and the impact your disability has on your life.
5. Develop your NDIS plan – if you are eligible, the NDIA will work with you to develop a plan tailored to your individual needs and goals. This plan will outline the support and services you are entitled to, as well as how much funding you will receive from the government for your needs.
6. Choose your provider – once your plan has been developed and approved, you can choose your NDI provider, and start accessing NDIS-funded supports and services. You will need to regularly review and update your plan to ensure it remains relevant and meets your evolving needs.
If you’d like some guidance on applying for the NDIS, our customer support team and ready to provide assistance. Please get in touch for a free consultation.