You may be eligible to receive Home Care Packages in Adelaide if you:
- are 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people)
- have noticed a change in what you can do or remember
- have been diagnosed with a medical condition or reduced mobility
- have had a change in your family care arrangements
- have had a recent fall or hospital admission
The first step to accessing a Home Care Package is to apply for an ACAT assessment, conducted by an Aged Care Assessment Team assessor. You can easily apply through the My Aged Care website, or by calling 1800 200 422. You can also choose to have a loved one, friend or carer apply on your behalf. Applying takes around 20 minutes, and includes an eligibility check and providing your contact details so an assessor can call you to organise a face-to-face assessment. Please note that you will need to have your Medicare card ready to complete the application.
If your application is successful, an ACAT assessor will get in touch to organise a time to visit you at home. When they visit, they’ll have a chat with you about your situation, and what kind of support might be best for your needs. Things they’ll talk to you about include:
- How you are currently being supported
- Any concerns you have about your health, lifestyle and capabilities
- What tasks you might be struggling with
- If you have any issues with your memory or safety at home
- What activities you do regularly
- Your strengths, difficulties, goals and service preferences
- Any referrals or assessments from your GP or healthcare professional
You can also ask any questions you may have about aged care services, and find out what your options are. If English is your second language, you can ask to have a translator present at the meeting. You can also have a support person with you during the assessment, such as a loved one, friend, or carer.
You’ll need a few things with you for the assessment, such as your Medicare card and other ID documents (e.g. a healthcare card, passport or licence), a copy of any referrals from your doctor or health professionals, and their contact details.
After your ACAT assessment, you will receive your results within two to six weeks. If you are eligible for a Home Care Package, you will be placed in a national queue until a package becomes available to you. According to the My Aged Care website, the current wait time for a Home Care Package is around three months, although it depends on where you live and the level of care you require.
While you are waiting for your package to become available, you may want to start thinking about who you would like to provide you with your services. The Home Care Package program is based on choice and control, which means that you choose who provides you with support, and the kind of services they offer. Once you have chosen a provider, you will work with them to create a care plan and coordinate services that best meet your needs.
Are you looking for a provider of my aged care Home Care Packages in Adelaide? Home Caring provides high-quality home care services in Adelaide, so you can live independently in your own home for as long as possible. To find out more about our aged care services, please get in touch with our customer service staff.